German’s cold feet force Ryno change

A bloodied Ryno Liebenberg after his fight with Vincent Feigenbutz earlier this year.

Predictably, perhaps, the promoters of Vincent Feigenbutz have declined to pursue a purse bid for the rematch against Ryno Liebenberg as mandated by the IBF.

Negotiations between Golden Gloves and Sauerland Promotions were due to be concluded by May 25, but promoter Rodney Berman received word that Feigenbutz wasn’t interested in going through with the fight.

The German fought Liebenberg in Germany, but there was such acrimony surrounding the controversial stoppage (on cuts) that the IBF ordered the promoters to start negotiations for another match-up.

“To be fair, Ryno bust Feigenbutz up badly, so I’m really not surprised he isn’t interested in the rematch,” said Berman. “He has a world rating to protect, so good luck to him.”

The International IBF super-middleweight belt will thus fall vacant and Berman says that he will work hard to try and secure Liebenberg a shot at it.

Failing this, he will be on the lookout for another big fight, perhaps for the African Boxing Union belt, to ensure that the South African is kept busy.

Notwithstanding Liebenberg’s recent defeats, Berman believes that Liebenberg can be a force in the super-middleweight division, especially as the defeats to Erik Skoglund and Enrico Koelling were shot through with controversy. Only Eleider Alvarez beat him fair and square, in 2014, a result Liebenberg is happy to concede.